Whole-House Surge Protection

What causes power surges?  Lightning, problems with the utility company’s equipment, large appliances cycling power on and off, faulty wiring, and downed power lines are just a few things that cause power surges.

What is at risk?  All items that have a microprocessor are at risk during a power surge.  This includes items like:  televisions, computers, tablets, refrigerators, washers, dryers, ovens, alarm systems, heating and cooling systems, microwaves, telephones and cell phones.  It is amazing how many items in your house actually need to be protected from an electrical surge.  If an electrical surge were to occur today, how much money would you stand to lose?

Wouldn’t it make sense to have ONE surge protector that would protect your entire house?   Mick's Electric Inc. offers options for Whole House Surge Protection in Rapid City.  

Safety Check!

  • Inspect panel box and check condition of all connections.
  • Inspect blinking lights and warm face plates.
  • Inspect sizzling or buzzing from outlets.
  • Check quality of exposed wiring.
  • Check for proper use of extension cords and power strips.
  • Check for required arc fault protection.
  • Check for presence and proper placement of smoke alarms and test each alarm.
  • Check for required ground fault protection and test each GFCI receptacle and circuit breaker.
  • Check for carbon monoxide detectors and test each detector.
  • Check for appropriate surge protection.
  • Check if electrical service capacity is adequate for present and future demands.
smoke detector placement
carbon monoxide placement

Carbon Monoxide Detectors

According to NADI (North American Detectors Inc.) every year, 1,700 people die from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning in North America and over 10,000 more are treated or hospitalized.  However, there are many preventable steps you can take to ensure your family is protected against CO poisoning.

10 tips to carbon monoxide safety:

  1. Replace CO detectors installed before October 1998.
  2. The best defense against CO poisoning is installing CO detectors on every level of your home, especially near sleeping areas.
  3. Press the TEST button on your CO detector monthly to ensure the alarm sounds.  Remember, the TEST button is not testing the ability of the device to detect CO, but rather the ability of the detector to sound the alarm.
  4. Have fuel-burning household heating equipment (furnaces, water heaters, portable heaters, fireplaces, etc) checked every year before the cold weather sets in.
  5. Check all chimneys and chimney connectors for proper installation, cracks, blockages, or leaks.  Ensure repairs are complete before using the chimney.
  6. When using a fireplace, ensure the flue is open for sufficient ventilation.
  7. Never use a barbecue inside the home or garage.
  8. During colder weather, never warm up a vehicle inside the garage, even if the garage door is open.
  9. If a CO alarm does go off inside your home, immediately open windows and doors to air out the house, leave and call the fire department.
  10. Because CO has no color, smell or taste - never ignore and alarm - even if your family members don't feel any symptoms: headache, nausea, dizziness, or fatigue.Type your paragraph here.

Smoke Detectors

It’s a wise decision to be ready before the next electrical surge hits your home.  Get a whole-house surge protection systems in Rapid City SD, that will protect not only your power lines, but your cable and telephone lines.  If you protect yourself from a power surge at the source you will experience benefits like:

Saving Time and Money – After an electrical surge all your neighbors will be spending time calling electricians to come out and replace the microprocessors in all their electronic devices.  Your neighbors will have to shell out countless dollars to replace electronic devices that no longer function.  But, if you have a whole home surge protector you will be able to sit back, relax and be secure in the fact that once the power returns, all your expensive electronics will return to normal.
Insurance for Your Electronics – Whole home surge protectors provide inexpensive insurance compared to the cost of replacing all your electronics.
Peace of Mind – You can relax the next time a lightning storm occurs or the next power surge takes place in your area.  You can rest assured that your electrical devices are protected.
It only takes seconds to destroy countless expensive electronic devices, so don’t wait until it is too late!
Call Mick's Electric Inc. in Rapid City today to get your whole house surge protection!  605-348-2335  

We can design a system complete for your needs.  We still recommend to protect yourself from surges that originate within the house, it is a good idea to take extra precaution and continue to use power strip/surge protectors for extra sensitive or expensive devices.

Every year fires occur because surge protectors are not being properly used!

Here are some suggestions to keep your surge protectors from being improperly used:

  • Remember that retail surge protectors are for light loads only.  (computers, printers, and low amperage equipment and NOT fans, heaters, coffee makers or other similar devices)
  • Each surge protector should be plugged into an outlet NOT another surge protector or another portable power strip.  This can cause overloading.
  •  In the event of a large surge or spike (lightning strike), the surge protector will have to be replaced.
  • Use only surge protectors that have an internal circuit breaker.  This will prevent a fire if the surge protector is overloaded or shorted.
  • Check the electrical load of the surge protector.  You can tell if it is overloaded if it is hot to the touch.
  • Do NOT use surge protectors in wet or moist areas. If it needs to be in a moist area, be sure that it is protected by a GFCI unit.
  • Place the surge protector in a location where it can get enough air circulation.  Avoid placing it under the carpet, furniture, or any other place that air circulation is inhibited.
  • Consider purchasing surge protection with cable and phone jacks to provide protection for your phone, fax, television, wireless routers and computer modem.
  • Check your surge protectors regularly to ensure they are in good condition and functioning properly.
  • Do not use an un-grounded adapter (two pronged adapter) to plug in a surge protector.  Use a three pronged adapter.   Surge strips do not work without a grounded receptacle and circuit.  Have all of your circuits checked by a qualified electrical contractor, to insure that your electrical system is grounded properly.
  • Not all surge protectors are created equal.  Make sure the one you purchase can handle your needs.
Smoke detectors, house fire prevention, electrical safety

Smoke Detectors Save Lives!
Smoke detectors (smoke alarms), when properly installed and maintained provide early warning when fires break out.  The most fatal fires occur at night when people are asleep.  Often, victims never wake up.  A working smoke alarm will sound an alarm to alert you, giving you precious time to escape.  Early warning increases your chances for you and your loved ones to get out of a fire safely.  Contact Mick's Electric Inc in Rapid City for an appointment 605-348-2335.

Smoke Detector Safety Tips

  • Install smoke detectors on every level of your home, corridors and also sleeping areas.
  • Do not install smoke detectors in bathrooms, near heating appliances, or in kitchens near ovens or stoves.
  • Install smoke detectors on the ceiling or high up on a wall.
  • Test your smoke detectors once a month, keep them in good working order.
  • Replace your smoke detector battery at least once a year.
  • Smoke detectors do not last forever, replace them with new ones every ten years.
  • Create a fire escape plan, regularly practice exit drills.

Mick's Electric Inc. in Rapid City providing Electrical Safety since 1987, such as Whole-House Surge Protection, Smoke Detectors

smoke detectors

During the typical year, home electrical problems account for 67,800 fires and $868 million in property loss.  Most electrical fires are caused by problems with faulty electrical outlets and old wiring.  (source:U.S. Fire Administration)

Rapid City, South Dakota